Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Expanding Our Musical Horizons


Everett Cattell Library. I work there. It's a blast and I adore the people I work with. Tuesdays last semester I worked from 5-6 pm and at first it was terrifying... I mean here was the situation: I wasn't even fully trained yet and I was scheduled with this kid Ian, a junior, who I assumed I had nothing in common with, then at 5:30 Ian left and I was completely alone until 6. (Okay, now that I type it, it doesn't seem so bad, but trust me, I was intimidated.)

The second Tuesday of this schedule, my dearest friends Kelly, Ricki, and Amanda came to the library at 5:40 and said that they not only were going to stay there with me until my shift ended, but also that they had a special secret surprise for me waiting back in my dorm room... I love those girls. Can I just say how much it meant to me that they did that? They knew that I dreaded this time more than anything else in life, so they decided to make it a little better for me. Anyway, so I get off work and they lead me back to my dorm and lo and behold, they smuggled a cup of ice cream out of the cafeteria for me! What a delicious surprise it was indeed. =] You can see that they didn't hold back on the sprinkles in the picture there... (This image courtesy of Kelly who documented the tasty, day brightening treat.)

So, what became of my Tuesdays, you ask? (Yes, I realize that you probably didn't ask, but hey, humor me...) Since I know that prayer is a powerful thing, I decided that if I wanted things to get less intimidating with Ian I would pray for him. That's right Ian, if you're reading this, I prayed for you a lot. I asked God to use the time we had together to foster a friendship or even just open up an opportunity to get to know someone new. After a few weeks of weird silence between Ian and me, it was revealed that it was hopeless for us to try to agree on who the funnier comedian was, BUT we did share a relatively open mind about music! Badda bing, Badda boom, common ground. What started out as trying to share some favorite songs with each other, soon turned into weekly "assignments" of sorts... well, mine were usually premeditated lists trying to stump him. HE KNOWS EVERYTHING! Anywho, the relationship was developed and someone came in to start supervising at 5:30 so I wasn't completely alone. My Tuesdays turned out awesome after all.

This semester I don't have any shifts with Ian and suffice it to say that I'm really missing his weird taste in music already.

Today's favorite is going to be one of Ian's suggestions from the good ol' days... "Six Underground" by Sneaker Pimps. Thanks, Ian!

1 comment:

  1. man oh man... I never knew I was such an intimidating person haha.. I'm honored you decided to use one of my musical suggestions to you as your favorite for this blog post though

    ReplyDelete