Thursday, January 29, 2009

The World History Debacle

So today in history we were discussing Calvinism and Armenianism... not a problem for most people, but for me it was a huge deal. See, I have some emotional ties to this debate. Arg. Last year, my friend Joseph and I went on a search for answers regarding this particular subject and after much diving into Scripture and reading up on the differing theologies, we both came to the conclusion that even though we sort of hate the implications, we think that Calvinism is more Biblically based. (Don't hate on me for this, I do not condemn those that follow the Armenian tradition and I hope you won't comndemn me.)

ANYway, so as we were comparing the different viewpoints, one of my closer friends apparently was making some disgusted face when discussing the predestination aspect of Calvinism. He said with such disdain, "That is NOT Biblical." Okay, perhaps I have no real right to get upset about that but after last year's journey for knowledge, I was fuming at that comment. I don't mind talking about it, but it's the fact that I can nearly guarantee that he's never looked into the subject in the detail that I've looked into it (not that i'm like, "oooh cuz i'm that cool" but it's just fuel for the flame) and he speaks with SUCH authority about it! I don't know... beyond my frustration with what he said, also pile on the fact that about 90% of my classmates and my prof are of the Armenian belief... no big deal, but it's weird to feel virtually no encouragement. I know that the word "persecution" is pretty harsh, but I felt persecuted for lack of a better word. I was just frustrated because I felt ashamed for the beliefs that I felt convicted to put stock in. If Dr. J would have asked us to raise our hands for which belief we tend to side with, I honestly don't think I would have raised my hand at all.

That class sucked today.

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how happy I am to know there's another Calvinist on campus - I've actually grown up a Calvinist and have taken a lot of flak for it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ange, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I can know how hard it is to take the disdain of those you care about. I know I have said this so many times, but I am so thankful for the truth that God has revealed to you and to me! Stand firm in Him and He will shine through you with His power and give you strength!

    ReplyDelete