Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Role of Leadership: To Whom Does It Belong?

As I was contemplating those flipping rolly maps in history I got kinda distracted from both the lecture AND the map situation... I started thinking about relationships and where the role of leadership fits.

Guys are supposed to be the head of the relationship; the leaders in every way. Women are supposed to be the nurturing love and support for their male counterpart. This is the Biblical way that God established the dynamic of relationships. So I was thinking about special scenarios and how they would affect this dynamic aversely and here's what I came up with:

-Girls should not be doormats. Easy enough, I know. I'm not a feminist or anything but I think that some guys could get carried away in that position of leadership and take for granted the fact that they have a good woman right next to them who is willing to fulfill her role as supporter.
- Girls should NOT have to be the one in charge. It is neither our responsibility nor our strength to be the leader, spiritual or otherwise, in the relationship. It's not fair to make us the head of the relationship; just get over it, take responsibility, and be the leader you were meant to be.

After I thought that stuff, I was like, "Self, what if there's this girl who has been single for a long time and her father was not an adequate leader in her life? What is she to do? She's learned to motivate herself and be totally independent... HOW on EARTH is she supposed to let the man come in and take control?" Honestly, I stumped myself with this one. I know it has to be sooo hard, but giving up the reins so to speak is something that we just have GOT to do.

Ladies reading this, prepare yourself to be led and directed in the way you should go. Encourage him and support him in all he does. Above all, let him be the man.

Guys, take it easy on your girl if she has a hard time letting go of control... it's way harder than it seems. Be a bold leader and don't be afraid to correct her when she's wrong, but make sure you are correcting in love and not out of selfish ambition. Cherish her.

3 comments:

  1. Good Post, but I have to disagree with you here.
    You're kinda putting a label on the roles that society has given men and women.
    Instead of thinking of it as a man has a certain role in a relationship and a woman has a role of her own.
    Why not think of it as one role.
    A relationship needs to have certain things. All the things that you said, but I think the couple must work together to accomplish this and not the individuals themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. angela! i totally agree with u, and i know its a team effort, but the Bible calls the man to be the Spiritual leader, and that is soo hard for me. I like being independent and doing everything on my own, so its really hard to be more submissive and trust in him.

    ReplyDelete